Kerr, Brian (2016) Cathcart Castle, Glasgow – Excavations 1980–81. Scottish Archaeological Journal, 38 (Supp.). pp. 1-100. ISSN 0305-8980Full text not available from this repository.
Excavations on the site of the tower-house at Cathcart, demolished in 1980, produced evidence for the construction of the tower and associated barmkin, dated to the mid 15th century. No earlier structural remains were found but residual pottery suggests that the site was occupied prior to the construction of the tower. The interior of the tower was remodeled in circa 1630–40 in brickwork, an early dated example of the use of this material in Scotland, and decorated with elaborate plasterwork. The barmkin was dismantled and a new range of buildings added, also in the 17th century.
Significant finds included an important clearance assemblage of local and imported ceramics, ironwork and glass from the partial demolition of the castle in the mid 18th century, deposited with assemblages of 17th-century plasterwork.
|Additional Information:||With contributions from George Haggarty|
|Uncontrolled Keywords:||Cathcart, Castle, Towerhouse, Barmkin, Plasterwork|
|Subjects:||C Auxiliary Sciences of History > CC Archaeology
D History General and Old World > DA Great Britain
N Fine Arts > NA Architecture
N Fine Arts > NK Decorative arts Applied arts Decoration and ornament
|Theme:||Material culture: creation and use|
|Department:||Scottish History and Archaeology (from 2012)|
|Depositing User:||Ross Anderson|
|Date Deposited:||21 Dec 2016 12:40|
|Last Modified:||21 Dec 2016 12:40|
Actions (login required)