Haggarty, George (Research Associate) (2017) Bricks and tiles. In: Engl, R, 'Where there's muck there's money: The excavation of Medieval and Post-Medieval Middens and associated tenement at Advocate's Close, Edinburgh'. Scottish Archaeology Internet Report 67. Scottish Archaeological Internet Reports (67). p. 47. ISSN e2056-7421

[img]
Preview
PDF (Published verion of report)
1876 Bricks and tiles.pdf - Published Version
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial No Derivatives.

Download (48MB) | Preview

Abstract

In 2012 excavation works undertaken along the western frontage of Advocate's Close, Edinburgh revealed the remains of a 16th-century tenement, owned in turn by the Cants, Hamiltons and Raes, all burgesses or merchants of the city. The tenement remains consisted of wall foundations, cellar floor surfaces and other substantial architectural features including a turnpike stair and corbelled roof. The tenement was demolished and back-filled with rubble during the late 19th century, after which it was replaced by a formal, terraced garden. The excavations within this area revealed a series of associated midden deposits, pits and structural features located to the immediate rear of the tenement. These deposits have provided a stratified sequence of occupation ranging from the initial settlement of Edinburgh's Old Town in the 12th/13th century to the clearing and landscaping of the tenement area in the late 19th century. A large artefactual assemblage was recovered from the midden deposits, including important animal and fish bone, glass, clay pipe, tile and ceramic evidence. The ceramic assemblage included substantial amounts of imported material from England and the Continent. The consumption patterns revealed by the artefactual and ecofactual evidence appear to directly reflect the changing fortunes of post-medieval Edinburgh. The high status of many of the Close's inhabitants is illustrated throughout the expansion of the 16th and 17th centuries, as is the decline undergone during the later 17th and early 18th centuries. The stratified midden deposits at Advocate's Close reveal the changing attitudes of the Old Town inhabitants towards the issue of midden management and general waste disposal, which in turn reflects the development and growth taking place in Edinburgh during the late 16th to 19th centuries. During this period the denizens of Edinburgh moved from pursuing a peri-urban system of agriculture, in which midden material was stored, to one in which a decreasing involvement with agriculture led to a shift in favour of rapid disposal.

Item Type: Article
Additional Information: Full text version freely available at the official URL
Subjects: C Auxiliary Sciences of History > CC Archaeology
D History General and Old World > DA Great Britain
N Fine Arts > NA Architecture
N Fine Arts > NK Decorative arts Applied arts Decoration and ornament
Theme: Material culture: creation and use
Department: Scottish History and Archaeology (from 2012)
Related URLs:
Depositing User: Ross Anderson
Date Deposited: 26 Jun 2017 17:04
Last Modified: 26 Jun 2017 17:04
URI: http://repository.nms.ac.uk/id/eprint/1876

Actions (login required)

Modify Record Modify Record